Yield: 8 burgers
1 cup quinoa
1 medium red onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
115-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
4 medium cloves garlic, minced (1-2 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons chile powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium saucepan, stir together quinoa and 2 cups water in small saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. (You should have about 2 cups cooked quinoa.) Set aside.
3. In a medium sauté pan, over medium heat, cook onion and sun-dried tomatoes until onion is softened (about 4-5 minutes) Stir in 1 cup black beans, spices and garlic. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
4. Transfer bean-onion mixture to food processor, add 1 cup cooked quinoa and process until smooth.
5. Transfer to bowl, and stir in remaining quinoa and remaining black beans. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and cool. Bean quinoa mixture should clump together firmly. If not, transfer a portion of mixture and process more in the food processor get a smoother denser consistency.
6. Preheat oven to 350°F, and generously coat baking sheet with olive oil. Shape bean mixture into 8 patties and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, or until patties are crisp on top. Flip patties with spatula, and bake an additional 10 minutes more until both sides are crisp and brown.