1 cup millet
1 ¾ cups water
Pinch of sea salt
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, medium dice
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
½ cup water
2 15 oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups pitted dates, halved
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Rinse millet in a fine mesh strainer under running water until water runs clear. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook rinsed millet until water evaporates and there is a nutty aroma. Add water, salt, cover and simmer until all the water is absorbed (approximately 30 minutes). Remove from heat and let stand for five minutes. Fluff with a fork.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté onion until soft and starting to brown. Stir in garlic and spices and cook another 30 seconds.
3. Add tomatoes, chickpeas and ½ cup water. Simmer 10 minutes.
4. Stir in dates and lemon juice.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Serve over millet and garnish with cilantro.