Winter Kale and Quinoa Salad
2 cups roasted sweet potatoes, small dice (not peeled)
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup quinoa
1 ¼ cups water
1 large bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped very fine (shredded consistency)
1 medium apple, small dice
¼ medium red onion, thinly sliced
4-5 pitted Medjool dates, finely chopped
½ cup walnuts, lightly toasted, chopped
To Make the Dressing:
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Course salt and ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, toss sweet potato with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Set aside.
- Prepare the quinoa by combining 1/14 cups water with 1 cup quinoa in a small pot. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low and cook covered for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and the water is completely gone. Let stand with lid for another 5-7 minutes then fluff with a fork.
- In a small skillet, over high heat, toast the walnuts, stirring frequently, until they release nutty aroma. Transfer them to a small bowl and let cool.
- In a large separate bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
- Add the finely shredded kale leaves and use your hand to mix the salad making sure all the leaves are well coated. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes until the oil is absorbed and the kale softens and wilts in size.
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes, cooked quinoa, apples, onions, dates and walnuts to the kale and toss until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
*Optional: Top with ½ cup crumbled goat cheese